Monday, January 14, 2013

Everything but the Kitchen Sink

I was tired of not finding a large selection of the things I wanted at the local grocery store. And let's face it,  going to a farmer's market alone with 3 children 5 and under is not exactly a relaxing, fun time. In fact, I think I might rather pull my fingernails off one by one. So.... we decided to again try the organic and local delivery company Greenling. I have ordered a few things from them before here and there but never have tried to do all my grocery shopping online. Since it had been forever since I had ordered from them they had graciously sent me a 50% off my next order coupon which I totally used to stock up our freezer with local grass fed and free range meats! Plus, I have to admit, not being able to see all the normal snacks and fall backs that I usually grab when hungry at the grocery store was really a help! Here is what we got for the week!



Our 5 crates came and our dog was excited to check them out. Yes, she could use a diet too I am well aware!

Our Produce! We got: spinach; mixed greens; zucchini; bananas; tangerines; cucumbers; red, green, and orange bell peppers; onions; garlic; cauliflower; apples; and fingerling potatoes. All organic and about 80% from local farms!
Dairy! I am happy to say that aside from the kids' string cheese and yogurt everything else is from local farms! We got: milk; jalapeno cream cheese spread (we got 2 because we LOVE these from Full Quiver Farms!); cheddar; Parmesan; mozzarella; and ricotta!
Grains and Misc.: We got whole wheat hot dog buns, rolls, and a loaf of bread; pinto beans; black beans; brown rice; kettle corn; chicken and vegetable stock; tortilla chips; potato chips; and for the kids, cheddar bunnies and mac and cheese!   
Meats! My favorite! Although we have been cutting back the amount of meat we eat each week, with my 50% coupon I couldn't resist getting some to toss into the freezer for when we do have it! And aside from the deli meat - everything is local, grass fed, and free range! We got: a beef roast; hamburger patties; bacon; deli meats; chicken breasts; fajita meat; and 2 dozen eggs!
So that is what we ate this week! I am looking into a weekly produce delivery from Naeglin Farms as well so that I can make sure the farmer's are getting the most out of their crop. I am also planing a sustainable living course for my kids this spring in our homeschool group so that we can grow our own garden and go visit local farms to see where our food came from. Step by step we are building healthier lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment